Monday, February 21, 2011

Full Service Includes Birth Place of a President



In honor of Presidents Day, I thought I would put up a post on Rutherford B. Hayes, the 19th President. Hayes and I were born in the same town Delaware, Ohio. As the above Daily Show video shows his birth place, is not exactly a historical museum, but the plaque out front is pretty nice. Growing up I often dreamed I would become President. Of course my childhood bedroom would become a museum with a velvet rope.
I can't find much info on why the Hayes birth place was demolished, but it looks like it happen in 1926 and confirms the story I heard in school that it was during the depression and the building owners needed money.

I guess it would be nicer in general if the house Hayes was born in was still standing. Previously I had written about valuing monuments, but my guess is few tourists would visit Hayes's memorial. So perhaps tearing it down was the best economic decision. Although if you do come to Delaware, I recommend you go around the corner for a milkshake at the Hamburger Inn.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: