Thursday, October 18, 2007

Cell Phone or Crazy Person

My wife and I like to play a game called crazy person or cell phone. In our game we try to tell if someone is talking to themselves (crazy) or talking to themselves with someone on the other end pretending to listen (crazy cell phone person). The problem with these blue tooth devices is that people go around announcing their conversations to the world. This annoys the heck out of me, I do not need to hear about sending the plans to Boston or how your contractor didn’t put the right tiles in the bathroom. In economics we call the impact of someone else using or making something on an innocent bystander an externality. I thought of this yesterday after reading an article in Salon: “Why are Bluetooth headsets so lame? In search of a hands-free phone headset that won't make people hate you.” I hope we continue to shun people who use these things in public, to limit their externalities.

1 comment:

poet~lover~rebel~spy said...

I play that game ALL THE TIME!!!

Actually, on my recent trip to Sweden, I kept freaking out when otherwise normal people would yell "Hello" when their friends picked up. Problem was it was so cold that no one had their phones out -- they all had headphones in so their widdle hands wouldn't get fwozen holding phone to ear, so I had no warning that anything was coming.

What do you think of cell phones on planes? Talk about immediate externalities!