Thursday, March 26, 2009

Fairtrade Coffee Not Just From Mexico, but In Mexico

One of the things that suprised me about my trip to Mexico, is that a coffee cooperative had opened a new cafe in Oaxaca City. It is a ways away from the tourist district, so I'm not sure the market they are targeting, but there seems to be a growing demand for organic fairtrade coffee (mercado justo) in Mexico.

Below are pictures of the new cafe and an advertisement for fairtrade coffee. Perhaps even in Mexico, they want to help rural farms and drink organic coffee?

From Mexico


From Mexico




Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

JoeCapper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoeCapper said...

Hi,
I thought you might find the following website useful - http://www.fairtraderesearch.net/ - The site provides information and links related to current research on the economics of Fair Trade by a number of independent academics. Their first workshop in 2005 resulted in a "plain English" guide to the subject by Mark Hayes and Geoff Moore of Durham University Business School.
Both of these academics were instrumental in the development of Shared Interest, the world's only 100% fair trade lender.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to see a major fair trade producing country actually consuming it as well. I always picture it just all being exported. I have been a huge and devout fair trade coffee fan since I first made a purchase from my linked to provider of choice and it's nice to see the love spreading in such a way.