Tuesday, August 21, 2007

First years' Mindset

Last year I taught at Beloit College. One of Beloit’s claims to fame is its annual mindset list (link here). The list includes things that might surprise older faculty that this new class has never experienced. For example the students who are first years this year were not alive (or infants) when the Berlin wall fell. Some of my economic favorites my comments in italics.


21. Eastern Airlines has never “earned their wings” in their lifetime.
(I’m 27 and I do not remember Eastern Airlines)


23. Wal-Mart has always been a larger retailer than Sears and has always employed more workers than GM.
(This really has been a huge change I can barely remember the days when WalMart was not King)


48. Microbreweries have always been ubiquitous.
(Not sure if that is as true, but thank god!)

No comments: