Tuesday, August 23, 2011

One Man's Tale of Deportation and Trillion-Dollar Bills on the Sidewalk

Before you read my post today on immigration, go read Dani Zamora's story of being deported. Dani is still in Mexico and trying to get back to the US. Dani graduated from Grinnell College in 2008 and is currently applying for MFA programs in the US. He is a friend of a friend, but as a Grinnellian, I consider him part of my extended family. Again, read his account. I'm not sure at this point what can be done to support Dani (unless you know a good immigration lawyer), but as I have more info I will pass it on.

Dani is not alone many people throughout the world could see significant improvements in their lives by migrating to richer countries. In a new paper by Michael Clemens in Journal of Economic Perspectives, he cites research showing by lowering barrier to immigration World GDP could increase by trillions of dollars. Compared to reducing trade or capital barriers which are substantially smaller. The paper is well worth a read and is accessible to even those without training in economics.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: